Most of you know I’m neck deep in my job hunt. I’ve been doing on-campus visits lately. Each one has given me a moment to chuckle – either at myself, the situation, or… well – you get the idea.
1) Director of the department at x university says “So, you have probably never been asked this question during an interview before. Tell me your life’s story. Start with where you were born & your parent’s backgrounds.”
2) My host at y university turns to me at 4p on the interview day and says “how about you go back and change. Then we can go on a hike.” And then we went on a nice hour long hike.
3) Host at n university opens up my apartment for me and says “well, you’ll find a little goodie bag in the room with local goodies.” Opened the bag to find 1 orange, 1 apple, 1 wine glass etched with the name of the institution, and 1 bottle of white wine. Too bad I don’t drink alcohol.
4) In the guest apartment at r university reading the directions to get on the internet. They provided an ethernet cable to connect to the wired network (no wifi)…. The cord was 2 ft long. The jack was 5.5 feet up in the air. Distance from the table to the jack was a good 3 ft. I held my laptop up in the air while I surfed the web. I also spent more time reading my book during that visit.
5) School p emails me about a week before my on-campus visit saying “we’ll pull together your interview schedule and get it back to you right quick.” I leave for my on-campus interview with no schedule in hand. I arrive at the hotel and find my gift bag and schedule. That’s right quick?
6) School o told me that I get to attend their Student Leader Awards banquet the night before my interview. In the email, I was directed that the “Dress is Snappy Casual. (Khaki slacks and a shirt are fine for this banquet).” – I’m still wondering about that term ‘snappy casual.’
7) I’m at TPE interviewing and my two interviewers for school w forgot who asked the last question (they had been going back & forth). They started to argue about it. I finally interjected and just said that I could read the next one & then answer it. They proceeded to let me.
8 ) Half-way through TPE day three. I get a direct message (on Twitter) from a professional from school h -asking if I want to have a follow-up interview with them. Not only am I happy to oblige, I’m completely amused that we’re using social media to set this up.
So- those are some of my memorable & amusing moments. I’d LOVE to hear some of yours! I know @LeahWescott has been waiting to hear some of these stories too…